Thursday, May 13, 2010

Adding syrup to the feeder

It's Thursday and it's been a great sunny warm day.  I checked on the bees when I got home tonight and there was a lot of hive activity.  It's going to get cooler and will rain tomorrow. I'm worried that there isn't enough syrup in the top frame feeder to keep them for the day, so I decided to add some.  It takes a while to make up the syrup - 5 lbs sugar to dissolve in 2.5 qts of boiling water.  It takes longer to let it cool enough to put in the feeder - even if you try to force cool it by placing it in the freezer.  By the time I was able to get out to the hive with the syrup, it was 7:35, and the sunset tonight was at 7:58.  The temperature had dropped to about 57 degrees F and the hive activity had really dropped off when I got there.  Hat, veil, gloves, no suit, no smoker.  I thought I'd just crack open the top cover a bit and pour in the syrup ... yeah, right ... curiousity is a powerful thing and I fully pulled the top cover off to see what was going on inside.  The bees were very VERY docile.  I might have gotten away with no protective gear; but, I realize that is a bad practice to get into.  Surprisingly I did resist the urge to pull the feeder off and then look at a few frames - I'll do that this weekend.  The bees that were in the feeder area hardly flexed a wing muscle or noticed I was there.  I poured the syrup in evenly on both sides, replaced the top cover and the task was done!

A half hour later while sitting in the "sun room" on the back of the house doing email I heard what is now a familiar "buzzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzzz" ... apparently one of the girls came in on my clothing.  I tried to catch her to and give her a custom "limo" ride back to her abode; but by the time I came back in the room with a glass and index card to catch her, she flew in amongst the indoor plants and has apparently settled down given the temperature and lack of daylight.  I can't find her and I can't hear her - perhaps tomorrow in the morning light she will become active enough for me to find her.

1 comment:

  1. How exciting to see all those eggs!

    Just let us all know when you do find the missing bee-ette so I'm not completely paranoid when I'm there next week. :)

    ReplyDelete