Friday, May 10, 2013

I'm in here waiting for you ... Got'ya!

May 9 Checking on the Marion Bees

Ouch

We ran down to check on the Marion bees after work and to give them some 50/50 syrup. A quick look when I got there, both hives looked good, so I walked back to the house to mix the syrup and get my bee suit on. It was getting dark and I didn't cherish the thought of doing too much after sunset so I was working fast. I carried the syrup in two containers down to the hive area, set them down and flipped the hood over my head on the bee suit, securing it with the 2 zippers. Nice and tight nothing getting in.  I walked over, put the syrup into the two hives. One has a top feeder that takes about 2 gallons, the other has an inverted jar feeder that sits inside a deep. I closed both hives up, and started to walk away.  

Bzzzzz, bzzzzz, bzzzzzz. Not unusual, they frequently buzz around me, on on near the veil. Nothing to worry about.

Bzzzzz bzzzzzz - this time quite loud. Obvious it was only a single bee. By now I am 20 feet from the hive.

Ouch! What? How'd you get in here?   Either this was a carryover bee from last night's foray at the NGC bees or else one managed to sit on my hat as I was putting the hood on. She was inside the veil and stung me cleanly on the neck, right next to the adam's apple. Yes it hurt, but I was more surprised than hurt.

Her last words udoubtedly were  "Yup ... I was waiting for you. Yes, I got'ya!"

No comments:

Post a Comment