Saturday, June 14, 2014

2014

Another beekeeping year and yet another attempt to keep up this blog.

There was so much I should have written about last year but didn't. Probably my hi-light came in August down in Marion when I was fortunate enough to introduce Charlie and Katie Sheldrake to my bees. Although young(6 & 8?), they trusted me enough to get them close - with protection of course- and they were rewarded with the taste of fresh honey direct from a frame. We collected enough for them to take some home with them. They also witnessed the birth of several bees breaking free from the comb.

I can sum up the year overall as this: the hive in the Norwood community garden was strong. It survived the winter and spring and continues to look good. My Marion hives looked good, although one hive was much stronger than the other even though they were side by side. Unfortunately the weaker hive did not make it through October  - one day they all were gone, no signs, no warning. The other hive survived through winter; but, spring was not kind to them. They looked strong but slowly dwindled away. I initially saw brood, then nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment