Sunday, September 25, 2011

MAQS

MAQS?

Mite Away Quick Strips.

I've been too busy to do mite checks, and when I did, I found I had a pretty good infestation. Fortunately MA has approved the use of MAQS this year, and even more fortunately, as late as Sat Sept 17th, I was able to find some of these MAQS at Behavin' Apiary in RI. Everett is always such a good source of info, comradery , and supplies! I put the 2 strips per hive on Wed night Sep 21 ... Bees weren't happy I was there and I got stung twice! Once through the leather gloves, and once when one crawled up under the bee suit pants legs, under my pants, and up on my calf. By the time I was able to get to that sting it was 15 min later and lots of the poison had been pumped into me. It was sore 24 hours later, but, very functional, and no swelling.

I do hope this works. The hive seems to be back to normal activity levels, so I will wait the specified 7-10 days at 50-92 F to see how we did. I'd like to see these bees survive the winter!


- Posted using BlogPress

No comments:

Post a Comment