Thursday, April 29, 2010

Is the queen free yet?

This is day 5. It's been cold and dreary here the past few days and the bees (I hope) are all huddled up inside the hive. They won't fly if it's less than 55 F and yesterday morning we started with a frost, followed by cold rain all day and through the night. I did go out to give a quick look at the hive; but, no activity. I won't remove the top cover and let out valuable heat when it's this cold - so I wait, somewhat impatiently. This morning is bright and sunny but still cold at 42 F - no one is to be seen at the entrance reducer. Hopefully tonight when I come back it'll be warm enough to check on them. I need to know 2 things ... is the queen free yet and how much syrup is left in the top frame feeder? If the queen is free, then I need to remove her cage and rearrange the frames for even spacing. If she's not free - is she still alive or was there some other issue? If she is alive, 5 days should have been enough for her to be freed - guess I'll do the task for her by removing the candy plug. I'll then ever so quickly look to see if any comb is being drawn out, top off the feeder with syrup, close up the hive and leave them alone for a week.

1 comment:

  1. How are the bees going to survive in the winter? By then will they have built up their hive? I guess that provides some insulation.

    ReplyDelete